Yun Min has found a new job as secretary of state at the Defense Ministry and four-star general — just three days after he resigned as Preah Sihanouk provincial governor over Saturday’s building collapse in Sihanoukville that killed 28 people.
A Royal Decree dated June 27 says King Norodom Sihamoni made the appointments on the request of Prime Minister Hun Sen, who had called Min’s resignation an example of a government official taking responsibility for errors.
The former governor had previously been only a three-star military general.
Am Sam Ath, a monitoring supervisor for the human rights group Licadho, said it seemed early to appoint Min to such a high-ranking position after he just resigned for administrative mistakes and investigations into the collapse were ongoing.
“Yun Min himself claimed provincial officials went down to stop [the construction of the collapsed building] twice and the company did not listen and continued building — but the provincial administration did not take action” Sam Ath said.
“What about the land dispute cases, why he can order hundreds of forces to crackdown [on land disputes] but he cannot use the forces to crackdown on this illegal construction? That was an administrative measure that needed to be taken.”
(Translated and edited from the original article on VOD Khmer)