Brief: Booyoung Subcontractor’s Workers Move On After Salaries Paid Out

1 min read
Constructions workers employed by Honsin, a subcontractor, protest at the Booyoung Town development on August 22, 2022. (Roun Ry/VOD)
[responsivevoice_button voice="US English Female"]

More than 300 construction workers who protested last month against a Booyoung Town subcontractor have been paid their unpaid wages for halted construction.

The workers protested on August 22 after construction stopped on a school being built within the Booyoung project, and subcontractor Honsin failed to pay their salaries. Booyoung paid out 70% of the workers’ delayed salaries soon after the protest, with the remaining 30% promised by Tuesday.

Worker Phean Leng said on Wednesday, however, that Booyoung had already paid out the remaining 30% just three days after the protest. He and his colleagues had then left the Booyoung site and most had new jobs across the city, he said.

One day after the payments, sleeping quarters around the construction site were taken down, he added.

“They promised to pay the rest of the salary on September 6 — I don’t know why, but just three days after the protest, on the 25th, they called everyone to get the rest of the salaries,” Leng said.

Sok Rada, general manager at Booyoung Town, said the company was still in discussions about whether to restart the school construction.

VOD. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission. VOD is not responsible for any infringement in all forms. The perpetrator may be subject to legal action under Cambodian laws and related laws.