Briefs: Kith Meng Group Takes Over Indebted Opennet, NagaWorld Negotiations Fail to Make Progress 

2 min read
NagaWorld protesters are taken away from the Phnom Penh casino by bus on April 19, 2022. (Roun Ry/VOD)

Internet service provider Ezecom, owned by tycoon Kith Meng, announced Thursday it has taken over embattled firm Opennet, which had its license suspended in February for failure to pay $6 million in debts.

The Telecom Ministry had suspended Opennet, a popular internet service provider, because it owed the government $6 million, banning it from taking new customers and placing the company’s operations under an interim administrator.

Ezecom announced Thursday afternoon that King Technologies, which owns Opennet, was transferred to Ezecom and promised to continue providing high quality internet services to customers.

According to Cambodianess, ministry spokesperson So Visothy said in February that Opennet was given one month to resolve the debt issue but that the management did not reply to the ultimatum.

— Compiled by Ananth Baliga

NagaWorld Negotiations Remain at Standstill

After “vigorous discussions,” NagaCorp and the Phnom Penh casino’s workers union agreed that they had not yet reached an agreement, the Labor Ministry said in a statement.

“The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 14:30 so that both sides have the opportunity to reconsider the possibility of mutual concessions that could lead to the conclusion of the dispute,” the statement said.

The protracted labor dispute began last year following mass layoffs at the casino. Union leaders were part of the layoffs, and are alleging union-busting and seeking reinstatement.

Their primary demand has remained the reinstatement of about 200 workers, which the company has repeatedly rejected.

The two sides met again at the Labor Ministry on Wednesday afternoon but could not reach an agreement.

Sun Sreypich, a unionist who attended the negotiations, said the number of workers holding out for reinstatement had dropped from around 300 earlier to around 190, and asked that the company have empathy.

“Some of them accepted the monetary packages. The number of people is lower because as we already know, most of our protesters are facing financial [problems],” she said.

The Labor Ministry statement, issued late Wednesday, added that the workers sought a ruling from a labor inspector on the mass layoffs.

— Chhorn Raksmey and Mam Sampichida

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

VOD. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission. VOD is not responsible for any infringement in all forms. The perpetrator may be subject to legal action under Cambodian laws and related laws.